Michael Faraday is one of the giants of science. He explained electromagnetism, discovered benzene, and contributed to the field of electrochemistry. But one of our favorite accomplishments came when he least expected it.Three Takeaways:
- Faraday was trying to turn a gas into liquid chlorine. But when he started to check the liquid out, the glass tube began to break apart… and the air around the tube cooled way down.
- This was one of the first steps in the process of artificial cooling, which led to freezers, refrigerators, and air conditioning.
- Albert Einstein had pictures of only three scientists up on his wall, when he worked at Princeton. One was Faraday. The other two were Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell.
- If you want to learn more about artificial cooling,
- The Faraday cage is one of Michael Faraday’s coolest (hah!) inventions.
- Nissan is trying to stop texting and driving…